Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Don't Play Games With THE MAN, He Always Wins.

In an effort to convince myself that I've just made up this sudden "calling" to homeschool Kman, I've come up with several game plans that God is just laughing about.

First, he was having several "good" (behavior) days in a row last week, so I decided that was a sign that I was making this all up & I should tuck my tail & continue on the public school route.
The "bad" days came back.
Yeah, yeah, total coincidence.

Next up, I knew they were adding a new class to Kman's grade this week, so I decided that it would be a sure sign that I was supposed to do this if studentX was pulled from his class.  You see, studentX is Kman's "best friend" in class & one of the big reasons that he doesn't like the idea of leaving public school.
StudentX got transferred to the new class.
Really?  Come on!  What are the chances of that?  ...but maybe the odds weren't as steep as I thought.  I mean...  really??  When I threw that thought out into the universe I swear I did not expect that answer.  Seriously.  Grrrrr.

So I said this morning (after a "good" day yesterday that even included not getting an "oops slip" from the one specials class he ALWAYS gets one in), "okay, if he has a 'bad' day today, I'll believe you, this is for real, I need to get on board & quite fighting it".
Guess what?
He had a "bad" day.
In fact, by the marking in his folder, I'd say it was bad enough to frustrate his teacher a bit.

So, there you have it.  I quit playing.  I'm obviously not going to win.  (Yet that tiny voice is still saying "I just don't know...  maybe there's a way out of this still...")

I was already pretty convinced that homeschooling is right, I just don't really wanna.  I mean, I DO.  So many things get me so very excited about it...  but so many others scare me to death!  You know what the #1 thing for me is though?  The thing that makes me feel like I'm really just a homeschool supporter?  The thing I find absolutely broken about elementary schooling?

I'd rather my kids play than study.

Don't read that incorrectly.  I did NOT say I'd rather them play than learn (and remember that playing is learning!), I said I'd rather them play than study.  Maybe my opinion is largely based on the type of kiddo Kman is, maybe it's not, I don't know, but I think kids are expected to grow up too fast.  I think kids have to leave behind make believe, discovery, and carefree fun way before they should.  Should a 7 year old really spend 7 hours sitting in a school, 30 minutes - 1 hour studying (homework & reading), and then have to cram a little play into what's left?  The whole concept just doesn't sit well with me.  It feels so very wrong.  Don't even get me started on how I feel about summer breaks...  ;)

No comments: