Sunday, December 5, 2010

The strong-arm

That's my running buddy...  the strong-arm.  Actually, much meaner words pop into my mind while she's chanting "helpful" words as we run.  The woman is a machine, I swear.  She seems to feel no pain.  She runs laps.  Around me.  Yep, that's right, she's running laps around me as I'm sucking air, attempting to hold down the food I ate hours before, wiping snot off my face, and trying to push through the stabbing pain in my knees.  How does she do it?  I'm ready to just lay down in the road & I hear her saying "breathe through you nose", "open your eyes", "look up", "don't think about anything below your chin", etc.  (See woman?  I am listening... and thinking of ways to hurt you later.)
My lesson today?  Don't ever, I mean ever, take an extended break from running.  Between Thanksgiving, my knee injuries, being sick, and whatever else, we took just shy of 2 weeks off.  Getting back on that horse is hard.  Freaking hard.  (Oh, and lesson #2 - Denya sucks.)
Seriously though, I don't think I'd stick to this running thing if she weren't by my side.  She told me this morning that I'm the most stubborn (who, me?), disciplined (hahaha) person she's ever met.  Perhaps she was half right, but as I told her - I AM NOT A RUNNER.  With her by my side though, I think I can attempt to push through anything.  So, my bit of advice is - get yourself a Denya, quick!

No comments: