Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Old Gray Mare...

Okay, old is a relative term. I can't say I'm all that old, but my body is sure telling me I'm not a spring chicken! My first obstacle with running (besides the obvious, the inability to run long w/out gasping for air & yearning for something to puke in) was the knee pain. Both knees screamed at me for the abuse I was giving. So much so, it was hard to walk for days. I seem to have passed that though (fingers crossed) & now I've moved on to the ankles. The inside ankles to be exact. Oh joy. My left ankle is the worst (coincidentally (or not??) it's the ankle I broke when I was in 7th grade). It throbs, hurts to touch, it's a bit swollen, & it's bruised. The right is a little sore, but nothing to worry much about. I'm not sure what the problem is (I've had no issues after months of heavy elliptical use & bike riding) & that frustrates me more than the pain. I'm a self proclaimed non-runner, I don't need anything to encourage my dislike for the sport! What I do need is for my body to cooperate & maybe even pretend like it's got a few less years on it. Meanwhile, I will keep pushing myself.

2 comments:

Mrs. Bianca said...

It is very typical to feel the pains where you've previously suffered injury. That has always been my issue with running. Most important thing for you to do during your training is to stay healthy.

Also, the pain you are experiencing is the pounding effect of your body onto the pavement. Even with amazing shoes, you can't control how hard your stride will strike the ground. This is why it is a different kind of pain when you bike and do elliptical. It would also be different if you were running on a treadmill too. Best of luck to you and keep on going!

Jacki said...

yeah, that, to Bianca. I had a coach tell me yesterday that running breaks down muscle and bone w/ every run, and the off days are needed to rebuild it. People can get terrible injuries from not being faithful to their off days when they're just beginning.

Also, you might need a different shoe. It sounds like you're turning your feet in slightly when you run and you need a shoe that prevents it. Sometimes your gait is significantly different on a run than when you're one a treadmill, bike, or an elliptical.

Good luck! and stick with it, every pain I've had has righted itself with time (and recovery!!)