Saturday, July 9, 2011

Why I never wanted to train...

I never wanted to "train" (ie - for a race).  I wanted to just run, to go out & have fun.  I thought that once I committed myself to training for a particular mileage/pace/race, I'd lose the fun aspect & lose my motivation to run.  Then, one day, I asked for a training schedule (thanks again, Lesley @ Racing It Off!).  I think I had a moment of insanity & actually thought it was a good idea to train for a half marathon.  ha!
When I got me schedule, I thought - no way, this is WAY too easy, I'm going to be bored right off the bat.
Well...  not so much.  My schedule did start me off at shorter distances than I was capable of at the time, but it had me running [consistently] 4 days a week, which was new to me.  So, my idea that it was too easy was totally off.  It was actually kinda hard.  I really did have to push myself.  (Plus, I had been used to running in the cold & it was just starting to get warm, which was a whole new running world for me.)  When I got to the point that the long run with a distance of 5 miles was a couple of weeks away, I was already saying NO. WAY.  Not gonna happen.  Uh-uh.
The 5 mile long run was scheduled for last Sunday.  I started later than I planned, so it was getting hot & it was especially humid that day anyway.  At 2 miles, I was questioning my ability to make it further.  At 3 miles, I knew my body was about done & I was barely keeping myself from falling over.  So, sure enough, 5 miles didn't happen.  I barely made it through 4 miles that day. Wednesday morning, I started super early.  I had 4 miles on my schedule, but by 2.5 I was already thinking I might be able to push through 5.  Maybe.  At 3.5 I decided there was no way I'd call it quits at 4, even if I only hit 4.5, I was going to go past 4.  By 4.5 I figured - what's another .5?  I hit my 5 miles, at a great pace [for me] I might add, and I felt SO great!!
What does all that have to do with me not ever wanting to have a training schedule?  Well, as I was out on my 3 mile run yesterday, I realized that by having a schedule I am actually pushing myself harder than I would've ever attempted if I were just out running for fun.  I AM still having fun (for the most part, wink, wink), but I'm pushing myself & gaining more confidence with every run.  Some of the runs are out-right hard - tomorrow I'm up for 6 & I am scared of it.  But!  Some of the runs are hard 'cause I have to prevent myself from pushing too hard.  Recovery runs seem too short or too slow or both, but I know they serve a purpose & I have to take it easy (I've even allowed myself to skip them if I've over-done it the day before, even when I really do want to get out & run).  
Having a schedule has made me get up & get out there on the days I REALLY don't feel like it.  Oddly, the days I am most hesitant to get out there are usually the days I enjoy it the most.  Weird!  Having a schedule has made me push myself harder & accomplish things I didn't know I could.  Having a schedule, a plan, a reason to run, has made me discover how much I actually enjoy running.  It IS still for fun, but it's for fun with a purpose.  If the schedule ever became truly un-fun, I'd walk away from it.  For now though, I am enjoying the challenges & the pride.  Thank you Lesley, you really do know what you're doing!

No comments: