Monday, July 4, 2011

Ohhhh the HEAT!

I'm trying to not be hard on myself, I really am.  I'm still pretty new to running, so it's hard enough as it is, but this heat is making it almost impossible.  I seem to get so very disappointed when I don't hit my goal distance for the day, but I know I have to listen to my body so I don't do damage.  Yesterday, I was aiming for 5.  At 2.5 I allowed a couple of minutes to stand still, get a good drink, add a little fuel, a spray myself down a little to cool off.  BIG, HUGE mistake.  I started to run again & my legs were numb & wobbly.  So, I stopped the Garmin & walked a couple of minutes before running.  I did get my groove back, but I could tell 5 miles wasn't going to happen.  It was just too hot & my body was fighting me.  (How do those crazy people run during the middle of the day?!)  I wasn't sure I'd make it past 3, but I intentionally ran far enough away from my house that I'd be obligated to at least walk in the last mile so I'd get 4.  I managed to surprise myself by running a full 4, but I was bummed about not hitting 5.  Next week I'm shooting for 6, so missing 5 this week will likely be a huge set-back in the mental game, no doubt.
I'm trying not to beat myself up for not achieving my goal.  After all, I DID get out & run 4, which is more than I could've said 6 months ago, BUT...  sigh

1 comment:

Mrs. Bianca said...

Hang in there! I've been having issues myself. It's HOT OUT THERE! :D