Thursday, April 7, 2011

Oh, my aching back.

I really, really, really was gonna run last night.  I promise.  My back was bothering me a bit, but not too bad, until...
Well, let's start at the beginning.  Let's take a trip back in time to Saturday, March 26th, around 6:30am.  I was on my way to my parents' house to help host a garage sale.  My car was packed down & I was ready to go make some money!  I was driving down a little country road that runs almost the full 30 miles between where I live & where my parents live.  It was dark, remember, it's the "country", so roads aren't lit up like in the big city.  There was a horse.  A dark brown horse.  A dark brown horse running up to a dark country road.  I saw it.  I swerved.  I seriously thought it would be like when you swerve to miss a dog - I'd swerve, miss the horse, and carry on with my day.  Boy, was I wrong!  I don't remember the impact, or the few seconds after it.  It was kinda surreal I suppose.  My car was still driving down the road, and I had no clue exactly where I was, what I needed to do, etc.  I found a gravel drive & pulled over.  Still not knowing exactly where I was, I knew I could call 911, so I called my parents to tell them what happened & that I obviously wouldn't be there any time soon.  Then, I called my husband - straight to voicemail.  GRRRRRR!  I then realized I was standing outside of my car, although I didn't recall ever getting out of my car.  I got back in, turned around, and drove past the horse, whose body was taking up almost the entire road, and pulled over at the first side road past the scene. 
I parked my car, got out, and called 911.  While on the phone with 911, I was trying to get the attention of the other drivers that came down the road, so they wouldn't hit the horse.  Not one - NOT ONE - of them stopped to ask what was going on, if I was okay, etc.  One of the stupid drivers didn't even slow down, just made a big scene of swerving around me & almost plowed into the horse.  Moron.
Once the 911 operator was sure I was okay & knew help was on the way, we hung up & I called our neighbors.  No answer.  I tried our neighbor's cell phone.  No answer.  I tried my husband again - straight to voicemail again.  I gave up, I knew eventually my husband would find out what happened & there was really nothing he could do for me.  In all honesty, having my 3.5 year old son at the scene would've been a bad idea anyway.  Maybe it's good that he never answered & the neighbors weren't home.
A fire truck showed up, followed by an ambulance.  The paramedics had to be assured that I was okay (I totally was!, just a scratch on my toe), then they left & the police arrived.  By this point I think the adrenaline surge had passed, but I was still really calm about the whole thing.  I was actually feeling a little broken hearted for the horse & the horse's owner.  The police found the owners of the horse & got their info, along with my info.  I got a copy of their accident report, was asked again if I was okay, then was sent on my way.  The owner hadn't even dragged the horse out of the road yet, but I was happy to leave.
I went ahead & drove to my parents', even though I was closer to my own house, 'cause I had so much junk piled in there & it was all covered in glass.  I just couldn't see taking it back home, you know?  I got there, sat through the sale, tried calling my husband a couple more times, and gave up.
Finally, a few hours after the accident, my husband pulled up.  I met him at his car & I'm pretty sure my exact words were "why the hell haven't you answered your phone?!", or something to that effect at least.  ;)  He was shocked (of course) when I told him what happened.  We walk over towards my car for him to see the damage and - I. KID. YOU. NOT. - a huge gust of wind blows through at the moment we get to my car, slamming a bookcase into the other side of it.  ~sigh~  Yes, that was my day.  Really.
After well over an hour on the phone w/the insurance company, things were falling into place for repairs.  Oh, and I was informed the horse's owner has already filed a claim - against me!  Seriously?  Seriously?  You have got to be kidding me?  Seriously?  Ugh.
A few days later, I was in a rental car, things were moving on, life was becoming normal...  and my back started to hurt.  It wasn't horrible, just uncomfortable & in places I had never had back pain before.  Bummer.  Oh well, I had a chiro appt for 4/6, & no free time to spare before then, so I figured I'd wait it out & get adjusted then.  By Wednesday night my back hurt enough that I could hardly walk.  I'm talking PAIN, worst ever.  I cancelled my running plans for the evening, and sat on my butt on the couch all night, making arrangements for a mini-vacation I have coming up.
Yesterday (the day of the oh-so-needed chiro appt), I got a call on the way to said chiro appt from the adjuster who was working the claim from the horse's owner.  Turns out, Texas is not an open-range area, so the horse's owner not only didn't have a leg to stand on...  he's not liable for the damages.  Thank goodness that's a problem for my insurance company to has out though; I'm kinda doubting we'll ever see a dime, but who knows, right?  Still, it was a relief that I wasn't liable for anything.  Yay!  The chapter has almost ended, I just need my car back, & we'll move on.  (Yep, it's still in the shop.  They had to repair/replace pretty much the whole passenger side due to the damage.)
I get to the chiro & tell her what happened.  Then it all became a bit of a whirlwind.  You can't just tell them about something like that & just get adjusted it seems, they have to fill out forms & blah, blah, blah.  I had no intention of using my PIP 'cause I really thought I was just sore & it was no big deal.  They tell me the have to do a re-eval though, and x-rays.  Oh, joy.  They get done & my dr looks at the film.  She calls in one of the other chiros to look at it.  They ask another round of questions, seeming a bit puzzled that my answers are what they are.  So, the other chiro pushes on a particular spot - OMGOSH, I thought I was gonna die.  I jumped & managed to not fly out of the chair.  That seemed to confirm their thoughts, so they ordered another x-ray.  Sure enough, there's a small crack in the winged part of one of my vertebra.
I was told that as long as whatever I'm doing doesn't hurt, I can keep doing it...  but if there's pain, I have to stop.  That means, while I'm feeling this pain, I can't go run.  I know all that jolting will make it worse.  I never in my life thought I'd say this, but...  I'm really, really bummed that I can't go run.  I haven't run since Saturday.  I'm hoping by the weekend I'll be ready to go again, but we'll see.  Meanwhile, I'm gonna sit around & feel sorry for myself.  That's okay to do, right?

No comments: