Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Man down! Man down!

Until this week, I didn't realize how much motivation my wonderful running partner provides for me.  When I'm out there, I don't need her to talk to me, although when we do talk, I enjoy it.  When I'm out there, I don't need her to be right beside me, although I also enjoy that (curse her for being faster & having a higher endurance level!).  Just having here there, knowing she's sucking wind & facing her own obstacles is enough to keep me going.  Even when running is a team sport, it's still completely "me" centered, it's you vs the concrete (or dirt, or asphalt, etc, etc)...  Buuuuuut, having someone out there with you is just somehow calming, motivating, & just plain nice.
My dear Denya hasn't been able to run with me this week, and guess what?  I haven't run once yet.  I got to run 8 of her 9 miles with her on Saturday (what?  ...yes, I did!  I probably only ran 6 of those when you factor in my walking breaks, but, yes I did!), and I haven't hit the ground since.  sigh
Tonight, I will put on my big girl panties & run alone.  Maybe I'll stick a picture of her in my pocket & pretend she's there.  This week, I have learned, SHE is the reason I have come so far.  No doubt she will be the reason I [one day] accomplish more than I can even imagine doing now...  Maybe I'll even join her in a half one day.  ...maybe.

No comments: