Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2015

The past few years have been full of big changes & exhausting challenges.  There was selling a house (that took 6 months, mind you!), adding a new baby, moving away from the city we called home all our lives, sending Kman off to school, building a house, saying goodbye to loved ones, and so many more life changing events.  2015 will certainly continue that trend as we take on some serious lifestyle changes in our family. For now though, let's talk about everyone's favorite New Years topic... RESOLUTIONS.

his year I decided to make just 2 resolutions:
1 - Be more present & more patient with my kids.
2 - Run

I think the first is actually kinda two, but they will easily go hand in hand.  If I'm more present (not allowing technology, to-do lists, and all the other distracting things to be my priority over my kids), I will be more patient.  ...and by being more patient (slowing down, taking time to show them how to do things, to not get so upset when they make mistakes, to really listen to their words, and to truly appreciate every moment I have with them), I will be more present.  It almost seems like a silly thing to make into a resolution, but I'm being honest by saying it isn't happening enough now & I need to resolve to do better.

The second resolution is really as simple as I put it.  Run.  I don't want to aspire to any particular mileage, race, PR, or any other running-related goal, I just want to get back to running.  Since having Graham (well, actually since about the third trimester with him), my running has been very sporadic.  I've lost a lot of the joy I get from it which has held me back from re-establishing the habit.  (Not to mention the fact that I've lost my running partner which makes running not nearly as fun.) I feel so much better when I run though.  I have more energy, less stress, and honestly, it lifts my mood in general.  2015 has to be the year I get back to the joy of running.  Hopefully I'll find a way to make it a regular part of my schedule, but even if I don't, I'm resolving just to do it.  1 mile a week, 10 miles a day, whatever it is, I resolve to do it.  I do plan to run a full marathon still, but I don't think 2015 will be the year.

annnnnnnd, now, I must act upon the first resolution before I even start the new year, as Sweetie Pie Sparkles is begging to sit in his mommy's lap.  :)

No comments: