Sunday, September 25, 2011

My FIRST race, which happened to be a half marathon.

I'm a big fan of go big or go home, so it seemed appropriate to skip right over the whole 5K & 10K thing & go straight to running a half marathon as my first race.  
I'm now pretty sure a full marathon is not on my radar any time in the near (or distant :p) future.

Major lesson learned - don't ever say 13.1 is "just another Sunday run".  It'll laugh in your face!  
Today's run was, quite possibly, the hardest run I've ever had.  My disclaimer (excuse? :p) - I was sick for about a week leading up to the half.  I had a cold that started in & stayed in my chest.  It was awful.  While I felt better today than I have been feeling, it was still there & I think the drainage led to my stomach being very upset.  A few miles in, I started having trouble getting a good, deep breath.  Obstacle 1.  By the half way point I was battling the urge to puke.  Obstacle 2.  I never did puke, but there were a few extra troubling moments that led to me walking at probably a 22 minute/mile a few times.  I realized around mile 8 that I was working on a nasty toe blister.  Obstacle 3.  (See, 13.1 was laughing at me!)  It was hotter than I expected, it was a course I'd never run, we ran directly into the sun for several miles, yada, yada, yada...  but...  the entire time the super-awesome Denya stayed with me.  I know I told her several times to just leave me, but she wouldn't.  She's great like that.  She was dealing with her own pains, and yet found a way (as always) to not make it about her.  Holly (also her first half!) was with us until about mile 8 or 9, then she gained a little extra momentum, just as I was losing every ounce of mine, and took off.  She went on to finish about 10-15 minutes ahead of us.  Good job girl!
Disclaiming (ie complaining) aside, I FINISHED A HALF MARATHON!!!  It IS a big deal!  I really don't know *that* many people that have done it (well, not counting runner friends), and actually, most people I know haven't run a 5K...  I ran 10 miles more than a 5K!  I am proud.  Very proud.  I was hoping for a 2:30:00 finish, which was ambitious, but I hoped attainable.  I never did get the adrenaline rush you're suppose to get, which probably would've made a big difference.  :/ I averaged a 12:23 pace, which is really, really awesome considering how slow I walked several minutes, multiple times.  Pretty sure my average running pace had to be in the 11something min/mile range (we actually started in the 10s, which did kick my butt!).  I think, had I not been sick, I would've finished at, or possibly just under, 2:30:00.  So, I'll cut myself some slack!  :p
All that matters (to me) is - I FINISHED.  Complete with a toe blister, sore legs, upset tummy, and complete exhaustion.  I FINISHED.

Offical race time: 2:44:37 (this was gun time, I believe, so I was just under that from the actual line)
Official placing: 274 of 447 total, 51 of 80 in my age group

Now, enjoy some pics.  :)

My night-before prep:
(clothes, BIB #327, Bondi Band, CEP sleeves, Protein Bites (+peanut butter bread) for breakfast, 2 packs of GU for miles 4 & 8, (I also had 3 Shot Bloks 45 min before the race started), coconut water for electrolytes, water, my trusty Garmin 305, iPod, Throlos socks (THE best!), and my Brooks Ghost 4. It takes a lot of crap to run a half...  I can only imagine what I'd need for a full!)

The awesome Denya & I, pre-race:
 Christina (her first 10K!), me, & Denya pre-race:
 A big ol' group of Lesley's RIO girls & friends pre-race:
Coming in to the finish!  I was SO happy to see my sweet hubby & son waiting for me!! 
 My son loved the medal!
 Denya & I, post-race:
 Christina, me & Denya post-race:
 The hubby, kiddo, & me (I still had my iPod in my ear & going but didn't realize it, ha!):
 I almost didn't get up from this position, I was sooooo tired!
 The End.

1 comment:

Mrs. Bianca said...

I'm beaming over here. I thought of you all weekend and was so excited to see Denya's pics. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Way to persevere and push on. Rockstar, you are! Now hopefully you go and treat yourself to a pedicure for a job well done! High Five!!